Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Day 3: Your mother or your father

Jodie Picoult once said, "Parents aren't the people you come from. They're the people you want to be when you grow up."

I never really liked mine that much while growing up. My Mama's constant nagging, and Dada's disciplinary sanctions were the best reminders of my growing rebellion a decade ago. Being the unica hija did not make it anymore rewarding than it seemed. I did not get enough liberty to do things many normal teens of my age do. Back then, I was always dubbed as the "KJ" (kill joy) because I had to hit home earlier than anyone, let alone participate in school field trips because I had no chaperone. I didn't even set foot in museums not until I was in college. I was forbidden to be "normal", or so I thought.

But as I grew older, and perhaps wiser, I realised that I must have seen things in a different light. When I became a mom to X, exactly a year and 6 months ago, did I fully understand what the true role of a parent is. The cliche was true, we never really know the love of a parent until we become one ourselves.

When I moved out, got married and eventually got pregnant, I did not know what to expect. I thought I was well-prepared for adulthood, only to be proven wrong.

I needed Mama's reassurance and Dada's kind words. I longed hearing their petty arguments on a Saturday morning, or their constant rebuttals about everything. I wanted the convenience of living with them, of being taken cared of by them.

Although I've moved in back with them again now (God bless my husband EJ for his understanding and love), I am still left emotional of the many challenges I couldn't have gotten out of if not for them. When I was broke, they were there. When I was in dire need of strength and company, they came to my rescue. It was through them that I learned that unconditional love do exist.

Now, I cannot thank God enough for making these two wonderful beings my parents -- the rock I anchor my boat into. I know that they will be taken away from me someday, but before that, I wish and pray that they be dealt with all the goodness they truly deserve for being my awesome two.


No comments:

Post a Comment