Thursday, August 19, 2010

Discerning friends at 59

My mom had some rough ordeals the last couple of months. The second trimester of the year was one of the filthiest time of her life, if I may overstate it.

Well I for one, was shocked when I learned the issues that she went through, especially when I heard it was about her friends. You see,  my mom values her friends more than she does herself. That's how martyr she is with friends, she goes the distance for them without complaint. Sometimes, she even lets them be on her top priority more than anybody, so you can imagine my disappointment when her flocks suddenly turned into ugly ducklings. It never occurred to me that at her age, she have yet to know who her true friends are. This only supplements the concept that age really does prove to be only a number.

It was one sunny day in the month of June I think, when one of her long time friends turned user-pretending-to-be-friend stepped on her like a foot rug in the mud. And it seriously raged me when I heard the story of the backstabbing, and how he shamelessly threw my mom off the garbage can as though she was spoiled food. I sobbed and was so mad that I had to outrageously curse and lambaste his name. I was hurt (to the superlative degree) because I know that bastard since I don't know when and even paid him high respects. It never came to my mind that  he'll be the one who would do that to my mom upfront. Imagine if I was this mad, how much more was my mom.

But I never heard a thing from her (knowing how she nags), I just saw the tears that she hid from me while I asked her what happened. And as it broke my heart to see her keeping her cool and trying to contain her emotions, she told me how it was a waste of time to even talk about it. Even though she denies it, I know how broken she was, and I prayed for her more than I regularly do. Just so she could stand up and be her best again, this time with enough wisdom to discern friends.

After two months, my mom of twenty four years turned fifty-nine. And in celebration for the blessing of life, she opted to share the night with friends -- her real friends that is. I've never seen her happier.



Side note: I thank God for hearing my prayers and for giving Mama true friends to keep her company for the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment