Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bee country

I was once a bee who dreamt of becoming a part of the colony. I was so eager that I always make it a point to put a foot forward every time I do my part of the job. And just like any newborn bees, I had a series of downfalls and triumphs. I had the worst first week; I had an average first month; and a good first year.

Surprisingly, after several bee-months of trial, the little bee in me was given the opportunity to become one of the pillars of the colony. I wasn’t just a simple soldier now. I am now part of a bigger picture, and it scared me as much as I was happy about it. Yet, I reminded myself of something I learned from a brother outside the colony, “never let the fear strike you from playing the game.” I gave it a serious thought and I had a recollection of what I envisioned myself to be: a leader, to take responsibility all because I felt that I have something to offer to the colony. I wanted to prove my worth.

Significantly, there came bigger tasks that at some point, it already felt that the world was literally eating the little bee in me alive. I shrank. I had a culture-shock, although I’ve known that the system goes that way. It suddenly felt like I was up to something I wasn’t well-prepared for. I was premature. But, because I believe that the opportunity granted unto me was part of a greater good, I trusted my faith.

After a bee-month of hustles and bustles, I miss being a little soldier bee all because it felt more surreal than anything that I am feeling right now – surreal enough to make me want to stay in that state for as long as I need to be there; just as I need a home to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment